Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Taylor Swift: Album Review

Taylor Swift
Artist: Taylor Swift
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Genre: Country and Folk
Record Label: Big Machine Records
Released: October 24, 2006
Length: 53:44, 11 tracks and 4 bonus tracks


May 1, 2013
I've been wanting to get around to reviewing Taylor Swift's four albums plus her EPs, video albums, and one live album.  So, I'll start with her self-titled debut album Taylor Swift.  First off, Taylor's songwriting abilities are unprecedented.  She has a talent for composing, hands down.  That's why I love her songs so much.  I remember me and my sisters seeing her first single on TV as a music video, "Tim McGraw," and thinking who's this?  After a few months, a friend bought her album for us and we loved it.  I like how her songs are very catchy but have a meaning and a story to tell in each one.  It also helps that she has a good voice.  Oh and another thing, I think it's very cool and interesting that Taylor leaves a message in each of her songs for her fans.  She does this where everything is lower-cased and the upper-cased letters show the message.  Here is my song overview/review:

1. "Tim McGraw"
Written by Swift/Rose
Single

This is Taylor's first ever single and it is very good.  When I first heard it, I though it was slow so I didn't like it (I think I was in to fast songs at the time).  After she kept putting music out I saw how really good "McGraw" is.  My favorite part is the chorus:

When you think Tim McGraw
I hope you think my favorite song
The one we danced to all night long
The moon like a spotlight on the lake
When you think happiness
I hope you think that little black dress
Think of my head on your chest
And my old faded blue jeans
When you think Tim McGraw
I hope you think of me 

Taylor's secret message is Can't Tell Me Nothin'.  I don't exactly know what that means. Overall, good song, 5 of 5 stars.

2. "Picture to Burn"
Written by Swift/Rose
Single
I think this is Taylor's fourth single.  I definitely like this song a lot.  It's really sassy and spunky.  The pace is fast and upbeat as well.  That goes along with the lyrics.  The song is basically about an ex of Taylor's and how she gets her revenge on him.  It made for a really good music video.  I have two favorite parts.  The first is in the first verse:

I realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me
So go and tell your friends that I'm obsessive and crazy
That's fine, I'll tell mine you're gay

Ha ha that's gotta sting.  I love that.  My other favorite part is in the second verse:

There's no time for tears,
I'm just sitting here planning my revenge
There's nothing stopping me
From going out with all of your best friends

Those lyrics are really, really original and funny.  Taylor's secret message is Date Nice Boys.  That one makes sense.  5 of 5 stars

3. "Teardrops on my Guitar"
Written by Swift/Rose
Single
"Teardrops" is Taylor's second single and what really made her more well-known.  Really good song and the music video is good too.  I like the ones that tell a story.  The song is about her unrequited love to a boy she knows at school.  Favorite part:

Drew talks to me, I laugh 'cause it's so damn funny
And I can't even see anyone when he's with me
He says he's so in love, he's finally got it right,
I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night

Secret message is He Will Never Know.  Goes perfectly.  5 of 5 stars.

4. "A Place in this World"
Written by Swift/Orrall/Angelo

This song is really relatable, for me at least.  You feel really disconnected from the world and don't know where you're supposed to be and who to be.  That's what this song is all about.  Favorite parts:

I don't know what I want, so don't ask me
Cause I'm still trying to figure it out

and

Even though I'm not the only one
Who feels the way I do

and

I'm alone, on my own, and that's all I know
I'll be strong, I'll be wrong, oh but life goes on
I'm just a girl, trying to find a place in
This world

Secret Message: I Found It.  Well, at the risk of sounding cheesy, I guess Taylor found her place in this world.  5 of 5 stars.

5. "Cold as You"
Written by Swift/Rose
This song is really sad and rueful.  It's about a relationship that goes south.  "Cold as You" has a slower beat and rhythm that highlights the lyrics.  The lyrical creativity is awesome.  My favorite parts are in the chorus and second verse:

Oh what a shame, what a rainy ending given to a perfect day
Just walk away, no use defending words that you will never say
And now that I'm sitting here thinking it through
I've never been anywhere cold as you

and


You put up walls and paint them all a shade of gray
And I stood there loving you and wished them all away
And you come away with a great little story
Of a mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you

The secret message is Time to Let Go.  5 of 5 stars.

6. "The Outside"
Written by Swift


I think "The Outside" is one of my favorites, if not my favorite song on Taylor Swift.  I think Taylor's talking about someone else that is going through a rough time.  Taylor saying that she's "been [to] a lot of lonely places" but she's "never been on the outside."  I love these parts:

I tried to take the road less traveled by
But nothing seems to work the first few times
Am I right?

and


So how can I ever try to be better?
Nobody ever lets me in
I can still see you, this ain't the best view
On the outside looking in
I've been a lot of lonely places
I've never been on the outside

and

And now it's all too late so you see
You could've helped if you had wanted to
But no one notices until it's too
Late to do anything

Secret message is You are Not Alone.  5 of 5 stars.

7. "Tied Together with a Smile"
Written by Swift/Rose

I love this song.  It's about someone who is barely holding it together in life.  I think.  That's my interpretation at least.  Very beautiful song.  I love these parts:


Seems the only one who doesn't see your beauty
Is the face in the mirror looking back at you
You walk around here thinking you're not pretty
But that's not true, cause I know you...

and


Hold on, baby, you're losing it
The water's high, you're jumping into it
And letting go... and no one knows
That you cry, but you don't tell anyone
That you might not be the golden one
And you're tied together with a smile
But you're coming undone

Secret message: You are Loved.  5 of 5 stars.

8. "Stay Beautiful"
Written by Swift/Rose
What a nice song.  One of my favorites.  I love the chorus the best:


You're beautiful
Every little piece love, don't you know
You're really gonna be someone, ask anyone
When you find everything you looked for
I hope your life leads you back to my door
Oh but if it don't, stay beautiful

Taylor's secret message is Shake 'n Bake.  Whatever that means.  5 of 5 stars.



9. "Should've Said No"
Written by Swift
Single
This is at the 2008 CMAs.
This is Taylor's fifth single.  I remember her watching her perform this song live at the CMAs and getting her soaked.  It was cool.  "Should've Said No" is obviously about an ex that cheats on her.  My favorite parts are the chorus and the bridge:


You should've said no, you should've gone home
You should've thought twice before you let it all go
You should've know that word, bout what you did with her
Would get back to me...
And I should've been there, in the back of your mind
I shouldn't be asking myself why
You shouldn't be begging for forgiveness at my feet...
You should've said no, baby and you might still have me

and


I can't resist... before you go, tell me this
Was it worth it...
Was she worth this...

No... no no no...

Secret message is Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam.  To state the obvious, the guy must have been Sam.  Haha.  5 of 5 stars.

10. "Mary's Song (Oh My My My)"
Written by Swift/Rose/Maher
 
This song has a really nice story. It would make for a good music video. I really love two parts:

A few years had gone and come around
We were sitting at our favorite spot in town
And you looked at me, got down on one knee

and

I'll be eighty-seven; you'll be eighty-nine
I'll still look at you like the stars that shine
In the sky, oh my my my...

The secret message is Sometimes Love is Forever.  5 of 5 stars.

11. "Our Song"
Written by Swift
Single
Taylor's third single and my favorite music video of this album. It's a cute and catchy song. Love:

'Cause our song is the slamming screen door,
Sneakin' out late, tapping on his window
When we're on the phone and he talks real slow
'cause it's late and his mama don't know
Our song is the way he laughs
The first date "Man, I didn't kiss him, and I should have."
And when I got home ... before I said amen
Asking God if he could play it again

and

I was riding shotgun with my hair undone
In the front seat of his car
I grabbed a pen and an old napkin
And I wrote down our song

Secret message is Live 'n Love.  5 of 5 stars.

12. "I'm Only Me When I'm With You"
Written by Swift/Orrall/Angelo
Bonus Track
This is one of the three bonus versions on Taylor Swift.  I first heard this song by my sister singing on karaoke, not Taylor.  She sang is so much, it got kind of annoying.  But, I like it.  Then, I listened to Taylor singing it and I realized my sister actually sang it like Taylor, I mean, like to-the-tee.  I think that's why I love this song so much, cause of my sister.  I think my favorite part is:

Friday night beneath the stars,
in a field behind your yard,
you and I are paintin' pictures in the sky.
And sometimes we don't say a thing;
just listen to the crickets sing.
Everything I need is right here by my side.
And I know everything about you
I don't wanna live without you.

There is no secret message for this song because, as I said before, it is a bonus track.  5 of 5 stars.

13. "Invisible"
Written by Swift/Orrall
Bonus Track

"Invisible" is a good song.  It's about being invisible to someone that she or someone likes.  Favorite parts:


She can’t see the way your eyes
Light up when you smile
She’ll never notice how you stop and stare whenever she walks by

and


I just wanna show you
She don’t even know you
She's never gonna love you like I want to
And you just see right through me
If you only knew me
We could be a beautiful
Miracle,
Unbelievable
Instead of just invisible

No secret message.  5 of 5 stars.

14. "A Perfectly Good Heart"
Written by Swift/James/Verges
Bonus Track

This is the only song on the album that I don't like as much.  Don't get me wrong, I still like it, just not as much.  I don't really have a favorite part but I guess it would be the chorus:


Why would you wanna break a perfectly good heart?
Why would you wanna take our love and tear it all apart,now?
Why would you wanna make the very first scar?
Why would you wanna break a perfectly good heart?

No secret message.  4 of 5 stars.

There is also a 15th song bonus track version and that is "Teardrops on My Guitar" (Pop Version).

So, that's it!  Whoa, that was a lot of song reviewing.  Coming up next for Taylor's album reviews is Sounds of the Season: The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely want to read your comments. So post them! I read each and every comment and try to respond to every one of them. I want to know what you all think of my reviews, content, blog, and your interests too. If you want, post your website/blog and Goodreads profile along with your comment so I can check yours out. Please no spamming.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home