Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Great Gatsby (2013): Movie Review

The Great Gatsby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Director: Baz Luhrmann
Genre: Drama, Romance
Released: May 10, 2013
Duration: 2 hr 22 min
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton, Isla Fisher
Rated: PG-13
How I Watched: Cinema
Watch Count: 1

Synopsis provided by Fandango:

An aspiring writer falls under the spell of an aloof millionaire with designs for the young scribe's unhappily married cousin in director Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's celebrated novel. It's the spring of 1922, and wide-eyed Midwesterner Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) has just moved to New York City in pursuit of the American Dream. Settling into a home next door to wealthy Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), Carraway grows increasingly fascinated by the elaborate parties held at his new neighbor's estate. Meanwhile, across the bay, Carraway's cousin Daisy (Carey Mulligan) flounders in her marriage to philandering aristocrat Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton). Inspired by the debauchery on display at Gatsby's wild parties and the lives of the wealthy elite, Carraway begins putting pen to paper as it gradually becomes clear that his cousin and the millionaire share a complicated romantic past that remains unresolved. Isla Fisher, Jason Clarke, and Elizabeth Debicki co-star.

May 18, 2013
I was a little apprehensive to go watch this movie. That's why I waited for a week since it opened to go and see it. My apprehension stemmed from the novel. I mean, I gave Fitzgerald's novel a 2 star rating for heaven's sake. I really didn't like the novel that much. But, I really liked the movie a lot.  I think Luhrmann's take on the twenties, the vibrancy and almost unrealistic images of Gatsby's mansion and parties, filled the hole that the novel couldn't quite grasp.  It's funny, what really stood out to me about Gatsby's mansion weren't the chandeliers, portraits, fancy hallways, or luxurious pool but the grass.  For some reason, that bright green, I mean really green grass caught my attention the most.  I have no idea why.  Anyways, the whole movie was a pretty picture to foresee.  I just read the book again for school so the quotes were fresh in my mind.  Me and my sisters always went "ooh there's a quote" or "there's another one" and "oh, oh I know what he's/she's going to say."  Luhrmann did an appropriate job of staying true to Fitzgerald's novel.

What I Liked:


  • The soundtrack. A lot of critics and fans have said that the music took away from the movie because it was modern music with rap and stuff. I say phooey to that. The music actually enhanced the movie and made it more likable for modern day movie-goers (like me!).
  • The contrast between Long Island's extravagance and the debauchery of the valley of ashes. This is such an important part of the book so I was glad that Luhrmann got this spot on.
  • The eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg. Those eyes were really well done and it kinda looks the eyes on the cover of the book.
  • The tea scene. The funniest scene in the movie where Gatsby is so nervous to see Daisy again because it's been 5 years. It was so funny when there was a knock on the door and Nick answered it to find Gatsby soaking wet, in a suit mind you. Another comical moment is when Gatsby is fumbling and bumping into things and breaks the clock, so funny.
  • The scene at the Plaza Hotel. This is the climax of the movie and it was done well. For some reason, I thought it was funny how Gatsby lost it and went off on Tom yelling "Shut up, Shut up, SHUT UP!" After that, he tried to get back to his calm and controlled "gentlemanly" manners.

What I Disliked:


  • Tom. I hate this character. As I said in my book review of The Great Gatsby, Tom is very sexist, racist, a cheater, and an overall bad person. I really don't like him.
  • Daisy. Like Tom, I really dislike Daisy. No wonder Daisy and Tom are married, they fit each other perfectly being so very careless and retreating "back into their money or vast carelessness." Daisy plays Gatsby like a fiddle throughout the whole movie. Even though I knew this was going to happen because of the book it still irked me throughout.
  • Gatsby's death. Again, even though I knew this was going to happen, it deadened the ending of the movie for me.
  • The ending (or lack thereof). They didn't show Gatsby's father or the funeral which was really important. I felt like Luhrmann just tied up the ending a little abruptly because of how long the movie is (2 hr 22 min, what a really long movie).

Overall, The Great Gatsby is a good movie. It's not a great movie but it isn't bad either. I enjoyed seeing it and wasn't bored that much (I expected to be bored more often because of the book and how insanely long the movie is). My Verdict: Watch it; maybe wait for DVD release.



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely want to read your comments. So post them! I read each and every comment and try to respond to every one of them. I want to know what you all think of my reviews, content, blog, and your interests too. If you want, post your website/blog and Goodreads profile along with your comment so I can check yours out. Please no spamming.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home