Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand: Book Review

Hallowed
Author: Cynthia Hand
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Series: Unearthly #2
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Supernatural, Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen; January 17, 2012
Pages: 403
Read Count: 1

Synopsis provided by Goodreads:

For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

In this compelling sequel to Unearthly, Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.
 


July 17, 2013
There are spoilers in this review. You've been warned.

Hallowed is filled with a ton of emotions. Well, one particular emotion the most: sadness. No seriously, Clara feels sad, like, all the time. To be fair though a lot of stuff that happened in this book would make me sad too. Actually, I was sad a lot for Clara, especially at the ending.

After the events of Unearthly, Clara now is trying to live life with knowing she failed her purpose. Clara thinks she being punished because of her failed purpose but really she's not, it's just life. She thinks she's being punished because stuff like the evil fallen angel Samjeeza keeps following (more like stalking) Clara and her family. Then, she has another one of her visions in which someones she loves dies. Originally, she thinks it's Tucker who dies so she goes all angel overprotective on him. But, actually, and this is the really, really sad part, the person who's going to die is her mother. Yeah, you read that right, her mother. Yeah, 'cause apparently being a half angel means you only live 'till your 120. And guess what, Clara's mother was just about to hit that age milestone. I felt so bad for Clara about this.

The other sad part was Clara's relationship with Tucker. Oh, that ending. Why, oh why, did you have to break up Clara and Tucker Cynthia Hand? I mean, really? And the Christian thing. What, he's going to go to Stanford too? I like Christian, really I do. I just like Tucker better and I think Tucker is better off with Clara. Christian feels too much like it's written in the stars and stuff because of the angel stuff.

Anyways, Hallowed is a really good book. I can't wait to read Boundless!

Your Turn: How was Hallowed for you? Did you like the ending?


Favorite Quote
"I know that when I think about my future, I'm usually overwhelmed, knowing how much will be expected of me. I know the odds are that I'll fail many of the things I try. And it's a big deal. What if I figure out what my purpose is, my reason for being on this planet, only to fall short? What if I don't pass the test? But then I think about what I've learned here in the last year, and I don't mean in my classes, but what I've learned from watching my friends face their futures and search for their purposes. I've learned that a storm isn't always just bad weather, and a fire can be the start of something new. I've found out that there are a lot more shades of gray in this world then I ever knew about. I've learned that sometimes, when you're afraid but you keep on moving forward, that's the biggest kind of courage there is. And finally, I've learned that life isn't really about failure and success. It's about being present, in the moment when big things happen, when everything changes, including yourself. So I would tell us, no matter how bright we think our futures are, it doesn't matter. Whether we go off to some fancy university or stay home and work. That doesn't define us. Our purpose on this earth is not a single event, an accomplishment we can check off a list. There is no test. No passing or failing. There's only us, each moment shaping who we are, into what we will become. So I say forget about the future. Pay attention to now. This moment right now. Let go of expectations. Just be. Then you are free to become something great."
--Angela
 photo b2signature_zps8268ed47.jpg

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely want to read your comments. So post them! I read each and every comment and try to respond to every one of them. I want to know what you all think of my reviews, content, blog, and your interests too. If you want, post your website/blog and Goodreads profile along with your comment so I can check yours out. Please no spamming.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home