Friday, August 2, 2013

Book to Movie Mania: City of Bones Chapters 3-5

Ready for Day 2 of the Read-A-Thon for City of Bones? Today's reading is:

Chapter 3: Shadowhunter
Chapter 4: Ravener
Chapter 5: Clave and Covenant

Discussion Questions:
Shadowhunters! Here are some questions you all can answer in the comments. Obviously, you don't have to answer all the questions, it's just up for discussion! Have fun and Happy Book to Movie Mania!

1. Early on, when Clary asks Luke what he would do if he saw something no else could see, Luke tells her that she see the world differently because she's an artist. Do you think he's right? Or is it just another lie designed to keep the world of the Shadowhunters secret from Clary?

Beans' Thoughts:

I don't know. This is a hard one to answer. Actually, scratch that. This is an easy one to answer since I already read the entire book. Luke just tells Clary that because he's trying to cover up the Shadow World from Clary. I know this because Luke knows about Shadowhunters and the like because, hello, he was a Shadowhunter now turned werewolf. So, yeah. But, if you want to get all philosophical then maybe Luke told Clary that because he truly thinks that Clary is special and sees the world differently because she's an artist. But, you can't deny the fact that he told her this to keep her in the dark for her own good. (I don't remember exactly why he does this. Oh, wait I think it's because Jocelyn was supposed to tell Clary and it wasn't Luke's place.) Yeah, that's it. Now that I re-read this, it's really all over the place and prone to babbling. Sorry about that.

2. After Jocelyn goes missing, and Clary is attacked by the Ravener Demon, Clary begins to learn the truth about herself and the world of the Shadowhunters in bits and pieces. How does this make her feel? Does she believe it all easily? If you were in Clary's shoes, would you be able to easily accept and understand this information?

Beans' Thoughts:

Her mother's absence, the Ravener's attack, and the Shadow World coming to light makes Clary feel confused and a little bewildered. I mean, I would feel those things but then I'd probably just be like, I knew it! I knew there was a world that didn't just exist inside my head! and Yay! This is just so cool! and When can I learn how to fight like a badass? Hee hee. and  me saying, Hey Isabelle, look at the thing there! while I stealthily grab her whip. Anyways, when I was reading today it did seem like Clary believed all of this pretty easily. Of course, seeing a nasty monster that looks like a cross between a really big centipede and alligator and then getting attacked by said demon can really sway someone's mind to believing. I'm just saying. 

And today's Character Spotlight is...Clary Fray.
Full Name: Clarissa "Clary" Adele Fray/Fairchild/Morgenstern

Portrayed By: Lily Collins

Status: Shadowhunter

Age: 16

Personality: Incredibly stubborn and a little sarcastic. She's a caring person, with lots of compassion for her family and friends. Her extreme stubbornness might have taken root because of the fact that her mother was extremely protective of her as a child. She goes to extreme lengths to accomplish what she wants, usually putting herself in danger, leaving those people who care for her, especially Jace and Jocelyn, extremely exasperated. Jace has even stated that her stubbornness matches his, which he figures was the reason they could not stand each other when they had first met. She is also an artist like her mother, Jocelyn. She keeps a notepad of paper where she often draws out her emotions and feelings through pictures; which she says is her version of a diary, just using pictures instead of words.

Family: Daughter of Jocelyn Fairchild and Valentine Morgenstern, step daughter of Luke Garroway/Graymark. Sister to Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern/Sebastian Verlac.

Physical Appearance: Five feet tall. Curly red hair. Green eyes. Freckles. Petite. Thin. Said to look like her mother who is described as beautiful and small. Maryse Lightwood notes that Clary looks like Valentine when she first meets her.

Love Interests: Jace Wayland. Simon Lewis.

Fun Fact: Clary loves to paint and uses painting as a sort of diary. She also has the rare ability to create runes.

Quote:
"I've only ever loved three people in my life," [Clary] said. "My mom and Luke, and you."
--Clary to Simon, City of Bones
So, Clary. Our main protagonist/character. You know, I like Clary, I actually do. I like her fight, her fiery nature (much like her red hair, too bad Lily Collins doesn't have a more reddish hue), and she is independent. But, she does get on my nerves sometimes. Like when Luke abandons her and she cry's poor me. That's just an example. But, yeah Clary's pretty cool. She's gets brownie points for saying that quote up above to Simon and not to Jace because, hello, they've known each other for ten years and Simon sure as hell deserves it. As for Lily Collins, I can see Clary as her but, as always, book characters in my head are still different than the actors. Well, except for Harry Potter. But, that's an anomaly.

What are your thoughts on Clary? How about Lily Collins portraying Clary? 
 photo b2signature_zps8268ed47.jpg

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At August 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

1. I think when Clary asked what would he do if he saw something no else could see and answered she sees the world differently because she’s an artist is a lie to cover up the truth of the world of Shadowhunters a secret. He also could have said that because he partly he thought it was true.

2. Well let’s just say that at first she didn't adjust to the fact that there was another world but once she wakes up in the Institute she accepts it more. If I was in Clary’s shoes I would probably think I was crazy seeing people and things at first but eventually I would accept it.

 
At August 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Another great spotlight character Beans!!!

 
At August 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Beans said...

I love your comment, Butterdream! Thanks!

 
At August 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Beans said...

Thanks! What do you think of Clary?

 

Post a Comment

I absolutely want to read your comments. So post them! I read each and every comment and try to respond to every one of them. I want to know what you all think of my reviews, content, blog, and your interests too. If you want, post your website/blog and Goodreads profile along with your comment so I can check yours out. Please no spamming.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home